The Revell Saturn V is the largest and most complex of the Apollo models. The main body is made up of 9 corrugated cylindrical sections and 4 thin flat styrene sheets which you have to bend into tubes to make the main tanks (Fitting these was a bit tricky as they were very tight). These are also pre-printed with the USA/flag logos. All the sections are keyed so that they only fit together one way. Unfortunately the second to third stage is not quite right, so I cut a new keyway to line them up correctly. Once completed, all the stages come apart like the real thing to reveal the engines inside.
The F1 and J2 engines are nicely represented and consist of several parts. The Command Module, Service Module and Lunar Module are also nicely detailed. There is a clear section in the Lunar Module cover so that you can see the LM inside which sits nicely on 4 cutouts. There is no 'Boost Protection Cover' over the Command Module. The Launch Escape Tower instead sits directly on top of the Command Module. I can only guess this was to make the Command Module visible in a similar way to the Lunar Module. I decided to make my own simple BPC which I think looks better than not having one.
As this is the Moon Landing 40th Anniversary edition, this Saturn V is supposed to be Apollo 11 and the S-IC-6 first stage Decal is supplied depicting this. However, the paint scheme on the instructions is from the original 500F Facilities testing Saturn V (This kit was first released in the late 60’s and has not been updated since). You will need to change this if you want to be more authentic. A good reference on the internet for the correct markings is ‘The Project Apollo Image Gallery’. You will also need to paint the third stage tube to hide the USA markings which were not present on any Saturn V except 500F.
Overall this was certainly the hardest Apollo model to make and took a long time but was fun to build. The finished article looks impressive at 1.14 meters tall. Now I just have to find somewhere to put it......